Co-op supermarkets to have sugar-free-only drinks bay
The Co-op is promising a greater range of healthier soft drinks in its beverage aisles
UK supermarket chain The Co-op has pledged one whole bay in its drinks aisles for sugar-free beverages as it continues to expand its healthier options.
The promise is part of a wider commitment to 'better-for-you' drinks that has already seen the supermarket group increase its display space for sugar-free drinks by 20%. It also plans to increase the number of healthier cordials within its soft drinks range to 90% by the end of next year, up from 82% currently.
The pledge is good news for drinks companies that have expanded their sugar-free options in the past couple of years as UK consumers align with health-and-wellness trends that include lowering sugar intake.
Britvic launched a sugar-free Tango last year after removing all added sugar from its Robinsons cordial range. Also last year, the UK soft drinks arm of Suntory released a no-added-sugar Ribena after Tesco pulled the full-sugar version from shelves as part of the supermarket's own healthy initiative.
Since then, the UK government has announced a sugar tax for soft drinks that that could raise the price of a can of Coke in the country by GBP0.08 (US$.10).
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020