US: Climate change to hit Californian wine output
Californian wine production could plummet by the middle of the century because of climate change, a new study warns.
According to research in the US scientific journal, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, wine production losses in California could hit 40%.
"Climate change should be an important factor in selecting perennial varieties and deciding whether and where they should be planted in California," said David Lobell, lead author of the study, produced by a collaboration of scientists at the Washington DC-based Carnegie Institution, Stanford University and University of California (UC), Merced.
"This study indicates that warmer temperatures will tend to reduce yields of these crops in their current locations," he said.
Lobell warned that although vines are typically planted once every 25-40 years, climate could change considerably in the lifetime of individual vines.
He added that while vineyards could move to cooler parts of California, the state's productive land is limited.
Hotter summers may have created some bumper years for drinks producers but climate change represents serious challenges to the drinks industry, not only in areas such as water and energy supply but in...
Concluding just-drinks’ harvest reports for 2006, we cross the Atlantic to take a look at the 2006 crop in the US. Anne Brockhoff reviews the harvest in the country’s largest and most prominent wine r...
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Beam Suntory to invest US$1bn in Bourbon
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends