FRANCE: CL World Brands offloads Hine Cognac to EDV SAS
CL Financial has found a buyer for Hine Cognac
CL World Brands has sold the Thomas Hine & Co Cognac house to EDV SAS.
Hine, which was bought by CL World Brands from LVMH in 2003, confirmed the move to just-drinks late last week. The value of the transaction, which was concluded earlier this month, has not been disclosed, but local reports estimate it at between EUR40m (US$53.5m) and EUR60m.
New owner EDV SAS is a French company that is controlled by the descendants of the family behind wine trader and distributor Établissements Nicolas. In a statement, EDV SAS said: “Our strategy is to pursue the development and outreach of the Hine brand, in preserving its exclusive positioning on the market and the exceptional quality of its products, as well as in perpetuating the traditional values of its founding family.”
CL World Brands is part of Trinidad & Tobago conglomerate CL Financial. The parent company was bailed out of a liquidity crisis in 2009 and is currently under the control of Trinidad & Tobago's government. Last year, CL Financial sold its majority stake in Lascelles deMercado to Campari. Then, in April, the company offloaded Scotch whisky producer Burn Stewart Distillers to the South African group Distell for ZAR2.2bn (US$244m).
Founded in 1763, Hine is the only Cognac maker to possess a UK Royal Warrant and last year reported a turnover of EUR14m.
An earlier report on this transaction said that CL World Brands had announced the completion of the deal. This was not the case. just-drinks apologises for any confusion caused.
Since 2010, Campari has become increasingly reliant on acquisitions, such as the 2012 purchase of Lascelles de Mercado, for growth. The profile looks at why this is the case, the benefits of its most ...
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...
The Emerging 5 Alcoholic drinks industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Cider in US$ Million and Million Liters. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Canada, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, So...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets