FRANCE: CL Financial offers to sell Belvédère to founders
Caribbean conglomerate CL Financial has offered to relinquish its controlling stake in French wine and spirits group Belvédère to the company's founders and managers.
The offer was made yesterday (11 June) to Jacques Rouvroy and Christophe Trylinski in a sale option agreement for EUR345m (US$460.3m).
Under the terms of the agreement, Belvédère's founders, who currently hold 22.13% of its capital, need to provide guarantees of payment by 31 July with the transfer of CL Financial's shares taking place by 30 September. Should this fail, then the companies board would be recomposed, giving CL Financial a majority of seats.
"CL Financial has a 68% share in Belvédère's capital but does not have a majority say on its board while the operational reins are in the hands of the founders," one market analyst told just-drinks. "CL Financial had agreed to reduce its shareholding to 55% but this has not happened.
"All this has led to a conflict over Belvédère's strategy and development. The agreement is a way of resolving it."
Belvédère's founders would also have the opportunity of exercising an option of selling their shares in the company from the end of this year for a three-month period.
Acquisitions have transformed CL Financial from the owner of one very famous but small-scale bitters brand into a player on the world spirits stage. Having recently shored up two contrasting acquisiti...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future