UK: Cider Maker Woos China
One of the most traditional of English industries is making bold expansion plans worldwide. Cider maker H P Bulmer has just launched a joint venture to make and sell the drink in China. And the Hereford-based company is turning to the internet in an attempt to consolidate cider's share of the long drinks market - at 10%, it is the biggest cider sector in the world. On Wednesday, Bulmers launched Pubserve.com, aimed at increasing its penetration of the independent pub sector. While two-thirds of managed or tenanted pubs stock draught cider, only one in three independent houses offers the drink. "It's about making it easier for our customers to get information and order electronically. It takes time out and it takes costs out," explained Bulmers chief executive Mike Hughes. "There are about 70,000 independent outlets, and it costs a lot to send salesmen and deliveries to all of them."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- just the Ten - Editor's Viewpoints of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod agrees Caribe Cooler sale to Grupo Bepensa
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Thailand pulls back from New Year alcohol ban