UK: Cider can replace beer as UK national drink, claims trade group chief
Cider is enjoying a major resurgence
The National Association of Cider Makers' (NACM) newly-appointed chairman has claimed that cider can become to the UK what wine is to France, based on its current export growth.
Paul Bartlett, C&C Group's marketing director, was unveiled as the NACM's new chairman at a reception at the Houses of Parliament, in London, last night (11 September). He replaces Henry Chevallier-Guild, boss of Aspall, who has stepped down after three years in the NACM's top role.
"I am very excited about the cider opportunity with strong growth in many overseas markets, particularly the USA, Canada, Australia and South Africa," Bartlett told guests, including MPs, peers and industry represtatives.
He added: "Over the next few years we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to make Britain to cider what France is to wine."
Overall UK export cider sales are up 17% in the last year and have risen 26% since 2009. Meanwhile, in the US last month, Heineken moved its distribution of Strongbow in-house, to capitalise on the country's fast-growing cider market.
But Bartlett said that cider producers have been severely affected by the UK's extreme weather of late. "Four successive poor summers and the increasing incidence of extreme weather have really buffeted our industry," he said.
But he added: "We are resilient."
The new NACM chairman also revealed that "most" of the trade group's members are against minimum pricing. "It will not deliver the improvement in the levels of misuse we all seek," he said.
Bartlett will dedicate "a couple of days a week" to his role as NACM chairman, the group said, while remaining in his post at C&C Group.
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review