IRELAND: Church calls for FAB ad ban - report
The Church of Ireland has called for a ban on FAB advertising, according to press reports. The Irish Times said yesterday (31 January) that the church has called on the drinks industry to monitor what and how much young people drink, and suggested parents show greater interest in what their children are doing outside the home.
Launching the church's "Alcohol in the Life of Young People" document in Dublin, its primate Archbishop Robin Eames told the Irish Times: "In the Republic ,there has been a 370% increase in levels of intoxication in public places by underage drinkers since 1996".
"60% of boys and 54% of girls aged between 15 and 17 years of age admit to having been 'really drunk'," he continued. "One in five cases of emergency admissions to Irish hospitals are alcohol related.
"In Northern Ireland the statistics are just as dramatic. Almost 80% of teenagers surveyed claim to have consumed alcohol by the age of 16."
Describing the Alcohol in the Life of Young People document as "one of the most important church reports on young people for some time" he welcomed it as "a serious and balanced study" while emphasising it was "not age preaching to youth."
Alcohol was "an issue for the whole of society and, as well as looking at how we can educate young people about the effects of over-indulgence in alcohol, this report looks at how people in other countries are tackling the same issues," he said.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets