CHINA: Chinese brewer attacks international imports
The brewer, which holds the number three spot in the region, will launch a new beer called Huadong this month, priced at only 1.7 yuan ($0.50 cents).
This would squeeze the market even more, catching Lion Nathan at its weakest point - the brewer recently wrote down its Chinese business by $158m. The New Zealand giant, which produces top brands such as Tooheys and Hahn, has complained about the saturation of the Chinese beer market, with pressure coming from local producers which have low cost structures and offer cheap products.
Suntory supplies 50% of the Shanghai beer market, with Shanghai Mila's Reeb beer second. Mila is a division of Asia Pacific Breweries, a Singapore-based joint venture between Dutch brewer Heineken and Singapore's Fraser & Neave.
Tsingtao plans to brew 30,000 hl of Huadong a year at its plant in the Songjinag district, which it bought from Carlsberg in August. The Danish brewer sold the plant to Tsingtao for $12m after losing the same amount every year for a decade since entering the market in the early 1990s.
Shanghai's beer sales this year are forecast to rise to more than 500,000 hl, compared to 300,000 hl last year.
Carlsberg Sverige is looking to introduce a lemon-flavoured beer to the Swedish market....
Heineken said yesterday that its Austrian subsidiary Brau Union AG has signed an agreement for the divestment of its Real Estate Division. This division comprises all non-business related real estate ...
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
Carlsberg cannot compete with some of the larger global brewers when it comes to earnings, according to the Danish company's CEO....
Carlsberg is looking to invest BGL20m (US$13.2m) in upgrading one of its breweries in Bulgaria....
Shareholders of Baltika Brewery have approved a rise in 2004 dividends....
Carlsberg Deutschland has acquired the beverage wholesale company Göttsche Getränke Group, which was majority-owned by Charly Willems. Göttsche Getränke Group is a beverage wholesale company in Northe...
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research