FRANCE: China, France blackspots fail to hamper Pernod Ricard in H1
- Half-year net profits rise by 5% to EUR858m (US$1.15bn)
- Sales in six months to end of December increase by 6% to EUR4.91bn
- Operating profits from recurring operations climb by 6% to EUR1.46bn
- Re-states full-year target of 6% operating profits growth
Pernod Ricard restated its full-year profits guidance
The company said today (14 February) that net profits for the six months to the end of December came in 5% up at EUR858m (US$1.15bn). Sales in the half-year rose by 6% to EUR4.91bn, with operating profits increasing by 6% to EUR1.46bn.
The sales performance builds on Pernod's figures in Q1, when group sales were up by 5%.
While Q2 sales delivered organic growth of 5% to EUR2.70bn, a spate of pre-buying in France in the previous fiscal year and this year's timing of the Chinese New Year pulled reported growth back to 3% for the three-month period.
In Jauary last year, France introduced a 14% increase in excise tax on spirits.
The company declared itself satisfied with the "continued favourable price/mix" of its 14 priority brands, highlighting strong performances by Martell Cognac and Jameson Irish whiskey in the half-year. Ricard suffered most in the period, with sales value and volumes each slumping by 34%.
Looking to its full year, to the end of June, Pernod confirmed its target of 6% growth in operating profits.
Pernod's share price opened up this morning, rising by 3.1% to EUR97.00 at 1054 CET.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
For just-drinks' in-depth look at Pernod's performance by region and brand, click here.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report