FRANCE: China, France blackspots fail to hamper Pernod Ricard in H1
- Half-year net profits rise by 5% to EUR858m (US$1.15bn)
- Sales in six months to end of December increase by 6% to EUR4.91bn
- Operating profits from recurring operations climb by 6% to EUR1.46bn
- Re-states full-year target of 6% operating profits growth
Pernod Ricard restated its full-year profits guidance
The company said today (14 February) that net profits for the six months to the end of December came in 5% up at EUR858m (US$1.15bn). Sales in the half-year rose by 6% to EUR4.91bn, with operating profits increasing by 6% to EUR1.46bn.
The sales performance builds on Pernod's figures in Q1, when group sales were up by 5%.
While Q2 sales delivered organic growth of 5% to EUR2.70bn, a spate of pre-buying in France in the previous fiscal year and this year's timing of the Chinese New Year pulled reported growth back to 3% for the three-month period.
In Jauary last year, France introduced a 14% increase in excise tax on spirits.
The company declared itself satisfied with the "continued favourable price/mix" of its 14 priority brands, highlighting strong performances by Martell Cognac and Jameson Irish whiskey in the half-year. Ricard suffered most in the period, with sales value and volumes each slumping by 34%.
Looking to its full year, to the end of June, Pernod confirmed its target of 6% growth in operating profits.
Pernod's share price opened up this morning, rising by 3.1% to EUR97.00 at 1054 CET.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
For just-drinks' in-depth look at Pernod's performance by region and brand, click here.
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research