China due to take back red wine crown - figures
Red wine consumption in China fell last year
China is expected to regain top spot as the biggest consumer of red wine over the next five years after anti-extravagance measures saw France take over last year, new figures have shown.
Red wine consumption in China fell by 12% to 128.6m nine-litre cases in 2014, according to a Vinexpo report compiled by IWSR. French consumption also fell, but by just 2.5% to 145.6m.
However, by 2018, China's red wine consumption is expected to bounce back to 159.9m cases, while France will continue to decline to 137.6m.
At a press conference today to launch the report, Guillaume Deglise, Vinexpo's CEO, blamed China declines on the government measures that have impacted overall still wine volumes in the country over the past two years.
“China is growing but not as much as before,” Deglise said. "This is a very strong difference to what the China market was telling us a few years back.”
Despite the slowdown, by 2018 China is expected to pass Canada and the Netherlands to take fourth spot in the list of top consumers of imported still wine, according to the report.
Last month, South African media reported that Chinese investor William Wu had acquired a controlling stake in Swartland Winery.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020