FRANCE: China ahead of France in Cognac table
China has overtaken France in Cognac consumption, according to recent figures.
The Bureau National Interprofessional du Cognac (BNIC) said earlier this month that 1.9m litres of pure alcohol (around 6.3m bottles) were exported to China in the year to 31 October, compared to 1.8m lpa (about 6m bottles) sold in France. The organisation positions China as the world's fifth biggest Cognac market.
America remains comfortably the largest market for Cognac, with Singapore second - although many cases are distributed from Singapore around Asia. The UK stands at third and Germany fourth. The French market has been in steady decline for a decade. Cognac sales there are half what they were 20 years ago, and tumbled by 15% in 2005/6.
The Chinese market, by contrast, has been in double digit growth since the country's accession to the WTO in 2001, with sales growing 45% in the last year.
Anheuser-Busch has stopped making its drink Spykes due to its "limited volume potential and unfounded criticism"....
Brick Brewing Co. is set to brew Tiger Malt non-alcoholic beer in Canada....
Diageo has added an eleventh flavour variant to its Smirnoff vodka brand in the US....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
Diageo North America's has launched its new brand, Smirnoff Source, into the north-east of the US....
Thai Beverage has reported a lift in its first-quarter revenue due to higher beer sales....
The State of Illinois faces the prospect of legal action if legislation passes prohibiting Illinois consumers from purchasing wine from out-of-state wine retailers....
The Norwegian monopoly alcohol retailer Vinmonopolet has reported a significant increase in sales performance for its first quarter....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends