CHILE: Chilean wine exports continue to soar - figures
Chile's wine exports rocketed in the first nine months of the year, according to a recent study.
The Chilean Agriculture Ministry's Office of Agrarian Studies and Policies (Odepa) said yesterday (25 October) that Chilean wine exports between January and September surged 30% year-on-year to US$715.6m in value terms.
A 23% increase, equal to 230m litres in volume, of designation of origin wines, including Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Carmenere, were exported during the nine months, according to Odepa.
Reinaldo Ruiz, director of Odepa, said that the international markets were now "recognising the quality of Chilean wines, which is reflected in the higher prices paid to exporters".
Ruiz added that winemakers are maintaining their competitive edge "on the higher prices paid at the countries of destination".
Odepa added that the main destinations for Chilean wines were UK, receiving 21% of exports and the US, receiving 14% of exports during the nine-month period. Other major destinations included Brazil, Germany, the Netherlands and Canada.
Odepa has estimated that, this year, designation of origin wine exports will rise to $1bn.
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends