HONG KONG: Cheer for drinkers as alcohol duty falls
The price of a glass of wine or beer in Hong Kong looks set to fall after the local government today (28 February) announced a wave of tax cuts.
According to local reports, the duty on wine, beer and spirits of less than 30% abv has been halved. The duty on wine has been slashed from 80% to 40%, while the tax on beer and spirits of less than 30% abv has fallen from 40% to 20%.
Hong Kong's financial secretary Henry Tang said the duty cuts would boost various sectors of the Hong Kong economy
"I believe that reducing the duty on alcoholic beverages will help promote the development of our catering industry, tourism and wholesale and retail alcoholic beverage trade, thereby benefiting the community at large," Tang said as he outlined the 2007 Budget.
Anti-social behaviour linked to alcohol abuse has once again grabbed the headlines in the UK. But Chris Losh believes that while the industry has made great strides with regard to social responsibilit...
The global market for premium beer is set for further strong growth over the coming six years, according to a recent report published by just-drinks, but there will be marked variations in the growth ...
The authorities in Russia have postponed the deadline for their alcohol data system once again, according to local reports....
The chief legal officers from 29 states have united to condemn alcoholic energy drinks....
Vinmonopolet has seen the poor summer weather affect sales in July....
The California State Board of Equalization (BOE), under the leadership of State Controller John Chiang, has set in motion a rulemaking procedure which would tax RTDs as distilled spirits rather than a...
A police chief has called for the legal drinking age to be raised due to a prevalence of anti-social behaviour and violence among teenage drinkers across the UK....
Finland's brewing and soft drinks industry federation has warned the Government that plans for a significant hike in taxes on beer, spirits and wine will impact negatively on profits and expand demand...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research