Charles Wells confirms CEO switch as group integration kicks on
Justin Phillimore will become CEO of Charles Wells later this month
UK brewer and pub operator Charles Wells is to split its CEO and chairman roles, with incumbent Paul Wells set to hold the latter.
The company, which is looking to integrate its brewing and pubs businesses, said earlier today that Paul Wells will be replaced as CEO later this month by the MD of its brewing & brands division, Justin Phillimore. Paul Wells has held the role for 17 years.
Peter Wells, who heads up the Charles Wells UK pubs side of the company, will become the group's commercial director, with responsibility for all sales and marketing across brewing and retail.
“I am delighted to be able to hand over the chief executive role to Justin Phillimore to drive the next chapter of development of Charles Wells,” said Paul Wells. “As chairman, I will remain closely involved but also focus on new initiatives for our family companies.”
The rest of the company's board – comprising finance director Anthony Fryer, France & HR director Andrea Holton and non-executive directors Tony Mair, Paul Rawlinson and Bob Ivell – remains unchanged.
Four years ago, Charles Wells and Young & Co's Brewery called time on their UK joint-venture, with Young's selling its 40% holding in Wells & Young's to the family-owned company.
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends