THAILAND: Chang beer cleared of unfair practice in latest round of Thai beer war
In the latest chapter in the Thai beer war, Chang Beer, has been found not guilty of unfair business practices by Thailand's Fair Trade Commission. Reports of the decision in the Thai press have said that the attempts by Chang rival, Singha Brewery, to have Chang charged have been unsuccessful. Singha believed that Chang's practice was to sell beer at below-cost prices to distributors who also agreed to buy a certain amount of its liquor violated trade laws.But the Fair Trade Commission ruled that Chang did not undertake this practice as a company policy, rather it was an independent action by some of its wholesalers. The wholesalers can only be found guilty of breaking the law if it is proved they can control the market.However, the Commission may ask Chang to try to curb the practice because it is deemed inappropriate. Meanwhile, Singha can launch an appeal if it can prove either Chang or its wholesalers control the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages