THAILAND: Chang beer cleared of unfair practice in latest round of Thai beer war
In the latest chapter in the Thai beer war, Chang Beer, has been found not guilty of unfair business practices by Thailand's Fair Trade Commission. Reports of the decision in the Thai press have said that the attempts by Chang rival, Singha Brewery, to have Chang charged have been unsuccessful. Singha believed that Chang's practice was to sell beer at below-cost prices to distributors who also agreed to buy a certain amount of its liquor violated trade laws.But the Fair Trade Commission ruled that Chang did not undertake this practice as a company policy, rather it was an independent action by some of its wholesalers. The wholesalers can only be found guilty of breaking the law if it is proved they can control the market.However, the Commission may ask Chang to try to curb the practice because it is deemed inappropriate. Meanwhile, Singha can launch an appeal if it can prove either Chang or its wholesalers control the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends