THAILAND: Chang beer cleared of unfair practice in latest round of Thai beer war
In the latest chapter in the Thai beer war, Chang Beer, has been found not guilty of unfair business practices by Thailand's Fair Trade Commission. Reports of the decision in the Thai press have said that the attempts by Chang rival, Singha Brewery, to have Chang charged have been unsuccessful. Singha believed that Chang's practice was to sell beer at below-cost prices to distributors who also agreed to buy a certain amount of its liquor violated trade laws.But the Fair Trade Commission ruled that Chang did not undertake this practice as a company policy, rather it was an independent action by some of its wholesalers. The wholesalers can only be found guilty of breaking the law if it is proved they can control the market.However, the Commission may ask Chang to try to curb the practice because it is deemed inappropriate. Meanwhile, Singha can launch an appeal if it can prove either Chang or its wholesalers control the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts