FRANCE: Champagne exports fizz at Vranken-Pommery
International demand for Champagne continued to grow strongly for producer and distributor Vranken-Pommery Monopole in the group's first half of 2008.
Vranken-Pommery increased revenue by 3.4% to EUR90.3m (US$141.5m) in the six months to 30 June, the company announced today (24 July).
Champagne exports, which compose nearly half of the group's Champagne sales, rose 15.6%, thanks to strong demand in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland and growing interest from Japan. Total Champagne sales rose 4.7% to EUR81m.
Separating the group's Vranken and Pommery marketing operations enabled it to distribute the brands more widely and to expand each network's customer base, the firm said. It also boosted Pommery sales in the US by handing distribution to a subsidiary in the country.
Chairman Paul-François Vranken said the group was "satisfied" with its first half performance.
However, the group added: "Because of the highly seasonal nature of Champagne sales, it is impossible to identify a clear trend for full-year revenue and profitability based on performance in the first six months alone." First half sales typically make up 30% of the full-year total, it said.
Champagne sales rose by 1% but group revenue remained flat for Vranken-Pommery Monopole in 2008, the French firm has announced....
Vranken-Pommery Monopole has reported a 1% rise in Champagne sales for 2008, outperforming a market recoiling from the global economic downturn....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends