FRANCE: Champagne exports fizz at Vranken-Pommery
International demand for Champagne continued to grow strongly for producer and distributor Vranken-Pommery Monopole in the group's first half of 2008.
Vranken-Pommery increased revenue by 3.4% to EUR90.3m (US$141.5m) in the six months to 30 June, the company announced today (24 July).
Champagne exports, which compose nearly half of the group's Champagne sales, rose 15.6%, thanks to strong demand in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland and growing interest from Japan. Total Champagne sales rose 4.7% to EUR81m.
Separating the group's Vranken and Pommery marketing operations enabled it to distribute the brands more widely and to expand each network's customer base, the firm said. It also boosted Pommery sales in the US by handing distribution to a subsidiary in the country.
Chairman Paul-François Vranken said the group was "satisfied" with its first half performance.
However, the group added: "Because of the highly seasonal nature of Champagne sales, it is impossible to identify a clear trend for full-year revenue and profitability based on performance in the first six months alone." First half sales typically make up 30% of the full-year total, it said.
Champagne sales rose by 1% but group revenue remained flat for Vranken-Pommery Monopole in 2008, the French firm has announced....
Vranken-Pommery Monopole has reported a 1% rise in Champagne sales for 2008, outperforming a market recoiling from the global economic downturn....
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research