Exclusive - GLOBAL: Champagne discounts "killing the drink", warns Pernod Ricard exec
Pernod is investing in Brazil
Hughes Le Marié, Pernod's Americas and Western Europe director for GH Mumm, said prices as low as EUR6 (US$8) are “destroying the dream” of Champagne. He warned that the sector's trade body will tighten appellation rules in response.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks today (21 June), Le Marié said: "The history of Champagne is unique but when people see they can buy a bottle for the same price as three bottles of Coca-Cola, you are on the way to killing the drink.”
“I'm pretty sure it won't happen again because the CIVC (Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne) will be even more careful than before about not giving the appellation too easily.”
Le Marié said the low prices, which were at their lowest in France earlier this year, did not affect Mumm but could hurt smaller labels.
“It is totally unacceptable and these people are surely not playing on quality and taking the risk of destroying the dream that we have built around Champagne,” he said.
Le Marié said Pernod is investing strongly in its other Champagne brand Perrier-Jouët in Brazil, where it hopes sales can help make up for a slumping domestic market despite a slowdown in economic growth.
“The economy has slowed down to 1%, but the future is certainly less bright in France than in Brazil,” he said. “In Brazil 1% growth is an accident, in France it is the rule.”
Perrier-Jouët is Champagne's fourth-biggest label in Brazil in a market "dominated" by LVMH's Moët & Chandon and Veuve Clicquot, Le Marié said.
According to figures last week, Champagne sales fell 17% in France in March, but exports outside the EU edged up.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2013....
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review