UK: Champagne discounting stepped up to shift stock
Sainsbury's, the UK supermarket chain has slashed its selling price for Duval-Leroy Brut non-vintage Champagne from £13.99 to £6.99 in the run-up to Easter, according to Sainsbury's Champagne buyer Julian Dyer.
Furthermore, consumers will be able to buy the brand for just £6.64 a bottle if they buy six bottles or more and take advantage of the store's further standard 5% volume discount on all wine purchases.
This latest offer comes in the wake of a stream of discounting by leading retailers of Champagne such as Majestic, First Quench and Oddbins who all cut prices by up to a third on purchases of three bottles. ASDA also recently announced it would be selling bottles of Mumm non-vintage at £7 under its list price of £19.49.
It comes against a background of three large harvests in Champagne where stocks have risen back above pre-millennium levels to over 1,000m bottles and there has been a hefty drop in prices at the bottom end of the market which may result in the re-emergence of the 'premier prix' sector.
With plenty of Champagne houses needing to sell stock and major retail players willing to cut margins dramatically, or even sell at a loss, to attract custom and increase market share, this is unlikely to be the end of the discounting frenzy.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets