FRANCE: Champagne chief predicts record year
Champagne is on course for record sales in 2006 after a buoyant first half of the year.
Figures from trade body, the UMC, show sales rose by 8.8% in the first six months of the year to just over 116m bottles.
"Growth in sales was driven from outside Europe and in particular Japan, China and Russia," the UMC's president Yves Bénard told just-drinks today (8 September). "There was also strong demand from the UK, Spain and Italy but stagnation continues in France."
Champagne's domestic market remains by the far its most important, accounting for 64.8m bottles during the first half.
Bénard, however, warned of a general slowdown during the second half of the year. "There was a hike in Champagne prices in April and a lot of orders were placed before it took effect," he said.
"This, coupled with the level of stocks, will probably mean a slowdown in the rate of sales growth in the second half of the year to around 4 to 5%. Nevertheless, we are still heading for a record year," Bénard said.
The just-drinks 2006 harvest round-up continues with a look at this year’s vintage in France’s most northerly wine regions of the Loire, Alsace and Champagne. Lyn Parry reports from the Loire, while D...
Champagne has already seen significant merger and acquisition activity in the past year or so, but there could be further deals in the pipeline, writes Nuria Sadurni of Euromonitor International....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review