FRANCE: Château Guiraud snapped up
Sauternes first growth Château Guiraud has been taken over in a EUR20m deal by a consortium including France's Peugeot family and current managing director Xavier Planty.
Guiraud was acquired from Canadian owners the Narby family by a group comprising industrial and financial holding FFP, owned by the car-making Peugeot family; Pessac Léognan grand cru classé Domaine de Chevalier; Neipperg Invest, owned by Stephan von Neipperg, who owns several other Bordeaux châteaux; and Planty.
The cost of the deal was not revealed, but sources in Bordeaux suggest it was about EUR20m. It is understood that Planty will remain in charge of winemaking.
Guiraud, which dates from the 15th century and has more than 100ha of vineyards, is famed for its botrytis-influenced sweet wines.
Early hopes that 2006 was going to be an outstanding vintage in Bordeaux were all but dashed by unfavourable weather conditions in August and September, but the Conseil Interprofessionnel du Vin de Bo...
Kicking off just-drinks' 2006 harvest reports from northern hemisphere wine regions, Chris Losh takes a look at the contrasting fortunes experienced this year by Spanish and Portuguese wine producers....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirit Fair......
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research