US: Century Council awards grant for binge drinking research
The Century Council has given the Emergency Medicine Foundation (EMF) a US$100,000 research grant to learn more about the role of emergency services with regard to college binge drinking in the US.
The council, a not-for-profit organisation funded by distillers to fight drunk driving and underage drinking, said on Tuesday (20 October) that the first phase will involve the EMF learning more about the young people using emergency facilities due to alcohol-related incidents.
The goal, the council said, is to better understand circumstances surrounding overconsumption, how they arrive, repeat visits, drinking experience and blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
"The solution lies within the stakeholders including, school administrators, students, parents, retailers, law enforcement, community organisations, and emergency medical services," said Alexander Rosenau, chair-elect of the EMF board of trustees. "Emergency services are on the front lines of this issue and we have much to offer in the way of prevention and treatment of problem drinking. Research conducted by the Emergency Medicine Foundation will help us create a blueprint to effectively address this issue."
The research grant is part of an initiative geared to reducing college binge drinking in the country, and coincides with National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week running from 18-24 October.
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends