US/POLAND: CEDC strengthens takeover defences
Central European Distribution Corp protects against hostile takeover
Central European Distribution Corp has announced a share rights agreement that it says will better protect the company from hostile takeovers.
The agreement provides for common shareholders to receive a proportionate weighting of preferred stock purchase rights, Central European Distribution Corp (CEDC) said yesterday (6 September). The move will bolster CEDC's takeover defences.
"The Rights Agreement is designed to deter coercive takeover tactics and to prevent an acquiror from gaining control of the company without offering a fair price to all of the company's stockholders," CEDC said. "The rights will not prevent a takeover, but should encourage anyone seeking to acquire the company to negotiate with the board of directors prior to attempting a takeover."
Each purchase right, if and when it becomes exercisable, will entitle the holder to buy one one-thousandth of a share of a new series junior participating preferred stock for $45.00, said the group. It did not say whether the move has been prompted by takeover interest.
The rights agreement will take effect from the close of business on 19 September.
The spirits category is up next in this, the third part of just-drinks' first management briefing of 2012. Here, Spiros Malandrakis and Jeremy Cunnington, alcoholics drinks analysts at Euromonitor Int...
Worsening full-year losses have convinced Central European Distribution Corp that it cannot pay short-term debt from its current resources, but it is still mulling strategic options....
Marblehead Brand Development is looking to develop its own Polish flavoured-vodka range, once it loses the UK distribution rights for Zubrowka to William Grant & Sons' First Drinks division....
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Pernod Ricard on US starting blocks with Havanista
- Diageo to close Maryland bottling site
- A-B InBev GSA head in drink-driving crash
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review