US: CEDC closes Bols Hungary buy
Central European Distribution Corporation has completed its purchase of Bols Hungary.
The US-based company confirmed yesterday (13 July) that it had acquired 100% of Bols' share capital from Remy Cointreau and DELB. CEDC has also bought the Royal Vodka trademark - the number one selling vodka in Hungary - for around US$19.6m.
In the full year to March, Bols Hungary had net sales excluding excise tax of around US$22m and achieved a net income margin of approximately 8% to 10%.
CEDC said that it expected the transaction to be accretive to 2006 fully diluted earnings per share.
Speaking to just-drinks last month, CEDC's president and CEO, William Carey, said: "As the producer of Royal Vodka in its home market, we feel this is a very natural fit. Also, when you look at a market like Hungary, where the majority of the drinks business is in the on-trade, it pays to have an on-trade sales force - something that Bols Hungary has."
In June, CEDC renewed its distribution agreement for its Zubrowka vodka brand with Pernod Ricard, which had held the distribution rights to Zubrowka since it agreed a deal with the brand's previous owner, Polish distiller Polmos Bialystok. CEDC bought Bialystok last year.
In her first monthly column for just-drinks, renowned spirits journalist Patience Gould looks ahead to what 2007 has in store for the major international spirits producers....
Drinks Americas Holdings has confirmed the appointment of a corporate controller....
Norwegian wine and spirits group Arcus is mulling a takeover bid for Sweden's V&S Group, just-drinks can reveal....
V&S Group has vowed to appeal against a ruling from a Swedish court that said the company had infringed the trademark rights for Californian wine brand Golden Gate....
Bacardi is set to launch a marketing assault behind Noilly Prat vermouth to raise international awareness of the brand....
Pernod Ricard has launched an Internet sales site in dedicated to offering customers, and particularly connoisseurs, top of the range products in France....
Sinergiya has snapped up Russian Vodka Company, according to local reports....
India's UB Group has refused to confirm reports that it will not raise its bid for Whyte & Mackay ahead of a reported meeting between the two companies to finalise the deal....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends