US: CEDC bucks commodity trend with bumper Q1
Central European Distribution Corporation has seen profits soar in its first quarter, according to figures released today (1 May).
The US-based company, which operates primarily in Eastern Europe, said that comparable net profit in the three months to the end of March leapt, against the corresponding period a year earlier, reaching US$18.5m. In the corresponding quarter in 2007, the company had posted a net loss of $5.2m.
On a comparable basis, net income increased by 63% totalled $12.7m, compared to $7.8m for the same period in 2007.
Net sales in the period were up by 37% at $313.6m, with operating income increasing similarly, by 35% to $25.5m.
The company credited the strong performance to the "continued expansion of higher-margin branded sales coupled with strong economic growth in our markets".
Company president and CEO, William Carey, said: "Two areas of our business that have been positively impacted by the appreciating Polish Zloty have been declining raw spirit costs in the first quarter and growing margins in our import portfolio."
CEDC is subsequently raising its full year net sales guidance from between $1.42bn and $1.52bn to between $1.47 and $1.57bn. Next year, CEDC said, net sales are expected to hit between $1.70bn and $1.80bn.
CEDC is the largest vodka producer in Poland, owning the Absolwent, Zubrowka, Bols and Soplica brands. Last month, the company closed its acquisition of an 85% stake in Copecresto Enterprises Limited, which owns the Parliament vodka trademarks in Russia and abroad.
Consumer markets may be bracing themselves for the impact of the economic downturn, but Patrón Spirits Company has no intention of being deflected from its marketing-led growth strategy. In this month...
Vodka is the drink of the moment in the Dominican Republic, growing 50% in 2007 according to recent research from the IWSR....
Pernod Ricard has posted a healthy lift in sales in its first quarter, driven by the acquisition of Vin & Sprit in the period....
Belvedere has played down fears that the economic downturn will hit the travel retail sector in the coming months, but has warned that it has seen some indicators of potential troublespots....
Russian Standard vodka is to launch a one-month cinema campaign to target audiences of this season's upcoming releases, including the new James Bond film, Quantum of Solace....
Spirits group Central European Distribution Corporation has said it expects third quarter revenue to rise by 50%, reflecting strong growth in Poland and Russia....
Super premium spirits rose in Spain in 2007, despite an overall decline in the country's spirits consumption during the year, new research shows....
Castle Brands has said that it has completed a cash infusion of US$15m, designed to improve the drinks group's stability by cutting debt....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research