US: CEDC bid to buy Lublin owner blocked
A proposed acquisition by Central European Distribution Corporation has been thwarted by Poland's competition watchdogs.
The US-based company said yesterday (10 May) that the Polish Anti-Monopoly Office had blocked the potential purchase of Jablonna, the controlling shareholder in Polmos Lublin, a Polish vodka producer.
"Our potential combined market share (CEDC and Jablonna) in the total vodka market would remain under the 40% threshold that is specified under the Polish Anti-Monopoly Act," said CEDC's CEO William Carey. "However, we understand the decision is primarily related to the potential combined market share in the flavoured vodka segment.
"We are surprised by this decision, as according to official government statistics as well as our own estimate of the flavoured market, we believe the potential combined share of the flavoured market is closer to 40%, whereas the anti-monopoly office puts it closer to 50%.
"We will appeal today's decision as we believe our estimates to be accurate thereby not justifying a dominant position in the flavoured market," Carey concluded.
The company pointed out that its 2006 guidance does not include the impact of this potential acquisition as well as any future acquisitions.
CEDC and Polmos Lublin were in competition last year to purchase a majority stake in state-owned distiller Polmos Bialystok. CEDC emerged triumphant in October, making it the largest vodka producer by value in Poland.
Having pioneered the super-premium vodka category in Russia, billionaire entrepreneur Roustam Tariko is eyeing international markets with his Russian Standard Original and Imperia brands, looking to b...
Global drinks force Pernod Ricard has announced the UK launch of its super-premium vodka brand Wyborowa Exquisite....
A New Zealand businessman has bought a stake in juice company Charlie's....
Constellation Wines' US arm is embarking on a host of festive season promotions to drive sales of five drinks brands....
Coca-Cola Amatil has secured a deal to sell and distribute Maxxium Worldwide's spirits portfolio in Australia....
Absolut Vodka has broken the one-million case barrier for a month....
Poland's leading vodka producer Central European Distribution Corporation has seen profits more than double during the third quarter....
India's UB Group and Russian vodka producer Russian Standard have signed a deal that will see the companies distribute each other's products in their respective markets....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits