CHILE: CCU buoyed by strong Q3 sales
- Beer, spirits, soft drinks drive Q3 sales
- Net profits slip
- Operating profits up 10%
Compania Cervecerias Unidas upbeat on Q3
The Chilean drinks giant part-owned by Heineken, Compania Cervecerias Unidas, has reported a strong rise in sales but a dip in net earnings for the third quarter of 2010.
Strong demand for beer in Chile and Argentina, as well as double-digit gains in spirits and soft drinks sales, propelled Compania Cervecerias Unidas (CCU) to an 11% rise in net sales for the three months to the end of September. Sales reached CLP193bn (US$395m), CCU said yesterday (3 November).
Operating profits rose by nearly 10% on the same period of last year, to CLP29.3bn. However, net profits slipped by 10.1% on the third quarter of 2009 to CLP23bn.
"We are pleased with CCU’s third quarter volumes," said the group, which is 33%-owned by Heineken. "The consolidated volumes grew 8.7% to 3.8m hectolitres, with the contribution of practically all segments," it said.
A combination of stronger consumer demand and higher prices saw CCU's beer sales in Argentina rise by 21% to CLP31.6bn. Beer sales in Chile rose by 8% to CLP61bn for the quarter. In other sectors, spirits sales rose by 16.5%, soft drinks sales increased by 14.4% and wine sales were up by 2%.
All sectors have shown growth so far in 2010. For the nine months to the end of September, CCU's total net sales rose by 8% to CLP587.5bn. However, net profits for the nine months fell by 23% to CLP81bn.
CCU said profits in 2009 were boosted by one-off gains, while the firm has also faced higher interest charges in 2010, as well as extra costs related to the earthquake in Chile earlier in the year.
For the full announcement, click here.
Don't go getting too excited about talk of improvements in mature beer markets....
In Denmark, this month, Pete Brown bore witness to the latest attempt by a multinational brewer to give its flagship beer a global identity. This well-worn road, however, is beset by perils and pitfal...
Heineken has launched an interactive game for football fans watching the UEFA Champions League....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future