US: CCE hit by strike in San Diego
Teamsters in San Diego, California, who produce and distribute Coca-Cola products for Coca-Cola Enterprises went on strike yesterday to protest the company's demand to dramatically increase workers' health care costs.
Coca-Cola Enterprises, CCE, is the world's largest bottler of Coca-Cola. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters is the largest Coca-Cola union in the world and represents more than 15,000 Coca-Cola Enterprises distribution and production workers.
"Coke's greed has put nearly 500 San Diego families in jeopardy," said Jack Cipriani, international vice president and director of the Teamsters Brewery & Soft Drink Workers' Conference.
"It is unconscionable that Coke would turn on the very people who work so hard to make the company the number one selling soft drink brand in the United States. Paying for those health benefits would have cost CCE less than what the company earned in 17 minutes last year."
In a statement Teamsters said that the Coca-Cola Company, the majority shareholder of CCE, recently awarded a US$24m "golden parachute" to its departing president, Steven Heyer who served only three years with the company.
"Rather than lavishing departing executives with millions of dollars, the company should address the health care needs of workers," said Jim Hoffa, Teamsters general president. "Heyer's payout alone could have covered health care costs for thousands of Coca-Cola Teamster families."
While the overall market for tea in the UK has declined by some 12% over the past five years, iced tea consumption is on the rise. Annette Sessions reports on the potential for iced tea in the UK and ...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Coca-Cola Enterprises has posted a strong leap in Q2 profit....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has announced the election of five officers to its corporate and North American Business Unit management teams....
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) has appointed Donna A. James as a director....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has announced details of its regular quarterly dividend....
Coca-Cola Enterprises is in talks to acquire just over 50% of Bravo! Foods International Corp....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends