UK: C&C to continue Europe test marketing for Magners
C&C Group is to continue test marketing its Magners cider brand in two European markets, despite its ongoing struggle with the brand in the UK, just-drinks understands.
Sources close to the situation have told just-drinks today (9 October) that the Irish company will persist with its test marketing of the cider in Munich and Barcelona. C&C began selling Magners in the two cities during the summer, while bad weather and increased competition in the UK have taken their toll on the brand.
The company will confirm its status in the two markets when it releases its first half results tomorrow, just-drinks has found.
When contacted today, a spokesperson for C&C declined to comment on the information.
Earlier this summer, C&C said that, for the six months to the end of August, it expects its operating margin to decline and for turnover to be flat compared to last year's results.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The dramatic rise of Magners cider was perhaps the biggest brand marketing success story in the UK drinks market in recent years. But, Chris Brook-Carter writes, bad weather and heightened competition...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020