C&C Group trims UK fruit cider output as demand falters
C&C Group said it wants to focus on its pear and apple Magners flavours
C&C Group has cut UK production of its non-apple and pear Magners cider production as it admits consumers are suffering from "flavour fatigue".
The company has told just-drinks it has reduced non-apple and pear Magners production "in line with customer demand". It declined to share production figures.
"We are currently producing flavoured cider for a small number of customers in the UK but, as a business, our priority in the UK is supporting the growth of Magners Original and Magners Pear," a C&C Group spokesperson said.
C&C Group's only UK-wide flavoured Magners brand is Orchard Berries.
Last month, C&C launched a Magners campaign that focussed on the apple category, citing rising demand for the core cider flavour that accounts for 76% of the market. Magners brand director Andy Cross said that consumers "appear to be tiring of flavoured ciders in the same way they did with alcopops".
C&C Group's announcement comes after UK cider maker Westons released a category report that claimed non-apple and pear demand was slowing in the UK following years of fast growth.
Meanwhile, Magners has struggled against retailer and competitive headwinds in the UK - in fiscal 2015/14 volumes dropped by 14%. However, the brand has since returned to volumes growth, up 1% in fiscal 2015/16, despite a declining market.
"As it stands, Magners Original is the fastest growing cider within the top five apple brands and growing significantly ahead of the market," C&C told just-drinks, citing Nielsen data for the 12 weeks to the 21 May.
"We expect to see sales continue to improve as we look to make Magners Original the cider of choice amongst drinkers," the company added.
C&C Group has used the same name as Heineken's successful cider variant, Strongbow Dark Fruit, for the launch of its own blackcurrant cider....
This week, the winners of this year's International Brewing & Cider Awards were announced. Here is the list of gold, silver and bronze winners....
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020