UK: C&C Group to invest US$1.6m in cider mill
C&C Group makes Gaymers and Addlestones at the Shepton Mallet mill
C&C Group is to invest GBP1m (US$1.6m) in its Somerset cider mill to improve sustainability at the 242-year-old site.
The money will help fund new orchards at Shepton Mallet as well as initiatives such as creating bio-fuels from apple waste, C&C Group said. Growers will also offer their own ideas about what schemes to fund.
“We are investing in sustainable fruit production for decades to come, with our experts supporting advances in orcharding practice to benefit our growers and the whole industry,” Shepton Mallet GM Paolo Mortarotti said.
The Shepton mill, which was built in 1770, produces C&C cider brands including Gaymers and Addlestones.
Last month, fellow English cider maker Westons bought the rights to cult cider Gold Label from Heineken for an undisclosed sum.
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018