UK: C&C Group scraps Magners Wasps sponsorship
C&C Group has said that its Magners cider brand will no longer sponsor the London Wasps rugby team, following a strategic review.
Magners will cease to sponsor Wasps at the end of the current rugby union season, after four years with the club, C&C Group said on Friday (30 January).
Maurice Breen, Magners' marketing director, said that the move followed "a strategic review of our existing sponsorships".
Some analysts have said the firm may seek to cut costs in order to revitalise investor confidence.
C&C Group shares continued to tumble last week, amid concern over Magners sales.
Investment broker Goldman Sachs downgraded the Irish group from buy to sell, citing the firm's January trading statement, which said that double-digit decline for Magners has continued into 2009.
C&C's share price was EUR0.79 at midday today, compared to EUR1.5 in January last year.
Sectors: Beer & cider
United Spirit's first quarter results this week might have one wondering what all the fuss is about with the current economic downturn....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has refused to be drawn on reports claiming that it will scrap the sale of its brewing operations in Central and Eastern Europe....
SABMiller has credited the beer markets of Africa and Asia for keeping its volume sales level in its latest quarter....
Local reports out of China this week have claimed that Tsingtao Group is going to switch ownership of Baotuquan Beer internally....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Hansen Natural has appointed Nick Gagliardi as chief operating officer for its Monster Beverage division in the US....
United Spirits has reported strong rises in sales and profits for its fiscal first quarter and has confirmed its plan to raise a further US$300m to pay down debts....
Foster's Group has approved a US$500m debt facility, secured thanks to strong support from Asian banks....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages