UK: C&C Group faces strike action at Gaymers site
C&C Group makes Gaymers and Addlestones at Shepton Mallet
C&C Group has said it hopes “common sense will prevail” as it battles to to halt a potential strike at one of its UK cider mills.
Workers at the Shepton Mallet site, in Somerset, England, which produces Gaymers and Addlestones, are holding a ballot on industrial action later this month in a dispute over pay. Employee union Unite said last week production staff had been denied a 3% pay rise given to office workers.
However, in a statement to just-drinks, C&C Group said a Unite representative has “misrepresented the facts in a number of key areas”. The company has requested a meeting with the union to discuss the representative's involvement in the dispute.
“Regrettably, we have been unable to reach agreement with the Unite union over pay, despite the company making an industry-beating offer to our workforce," C&C Group said. "We sincerely hope that common sense will prevail and such unnecessary and potentially damaging action will be rejected,” .
The cider maker said there is “no immediate threat” to the supply of Gaymers and Addlestones. Last year the site received a GBP1m (US$1.6m) upgrade.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report