IRELAND: C&C Group extends Bulmers line
Ireland's C&C Group has extended its Bulmers cider line to include a pear variety, as it looks to reinvigorate sales.
Bulmers Pear is available in a 568ml pint bottle, 330ml long neck bottle and a 500ml can throughout the licensed and grocery trade, the company said today (27 February).
The launch is being supported by a marketing campaign to include sampling, TV, outdoor, radio, press and online.
Bulmers managing director Michael Merrins believes the new addition will be the "most successful brand extension" in the history of the company.
"This new move is indicative of our commitment to develop and grow the cider category in Ireland in this difficult market climate," Merrins said.
Falling cider sales in Ireland have led to C&C announcing plans to cut 120 jobs at its manufacturing plant in Clonmel, as part of a restructuring programme in Ireland to be complete by June 2009.
The move, which will also see the firm's Dublin operations merged into one office, was announced following a meeting with employees and union representatives. Union representatives have since said that they will oppose the plans, however.
Sectors: Beer & cider
ThaiBev, the owner of Chang beer and Old Pulteney Scotch whisky, posted a 12% rise in half-year net profits this week, despite a tough six months for its beer business. Michelle Russell exmaines the f...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
On Wednesday (26 August), Heineken announces its first-half results....
Adnams, the UK brewer, wine merchant and pub owner, has reported a 7% lift in sales and a return to profits for the first half of 2009....
Cott Corporation, the private label soft drinks specialist, has appointed Neal Cravens as its new chief financial officer....
Jamba Inc, owner of Jamba Juice stores, has reported lower net sales for the first half of 2009 but a significant drop in net losses....
Trade union officials and politicians have hit a setback in their campaign to stop Diageo cutting 10% of its Scotch whisky workforce, after an independent report said not all jobs can be saved, just-d...
In 1996, Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co, a leading beverage producer in China, began a joint venture with Danone Group to form five new subsidiaries....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends