UK: C&C Group drops Magners mid-strength
C&C Group has withdrawn its Magners mid-strength cider variant in the UK, after testing the extension in Tesco and Waitrose.
The brand was first introduced in 500 Tesco stores as an exclusive in September 2008, and was later listed by its take-home rival, but never made it into the on-trade.
Magners Mid-Strength was packaged in a pint bottle and, like the main Magners brand, was designed to be served over ice.
"It's been discontinued," said Scott Fairbairn, Magners marketing manager, today (9 October). "The rate-of-sale was static for a while and then dropped off. It suffered from a lack of consumer perception of a need for a lower-strength product."
Fairbairn said there were no plans to axe its low-calorie Magners Light brand which had demonstrated a "very strong consumer requirement".
Tesco has championed the mid-strength beer and cider category in the UK with a number of exclusive listings including Hall & Woodhouse's Harvester ale, Beck's Green Lemon and Carlsberg Mid-Strength.
The UK soft drinks market grew by 2% in value in 2009, enough for sales in the on-trade to climb ahead of spirits to take the number two spot behind beer....
Any port will do in a storm, as the saying goes, and Jones Soda might do well to remember it....
Foster's Group has appointed the ex-head of Constellation Wines in Australia, John Grant, as vice president of its California wine division....
US-based soft drinks group Jones Soda has reported an improvement in net losses for 2009 and said it will continue to seek a buyer for the company....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report