UK: C&C Group drops Magners mid-strength
C&C Group has withdrawn its Magners mid-strength cider variant in the UK, after testing the extension in Tesco and Waitrose.
The brand was first introduced in 500 Tesco stores as an exclusive in September 2008, and was later listed by its take-home rival, but never made it into the on-trade.
Magners Mid-Strength was packaged in a pint bottle and, like the main Magners brand, was designed to be served over ice.
"It's been discontinued," said Scott Fairbairn, Magners marketing manager, today (9 October). "The rate-of-sale was static for a while and then dropped off. It suffered from a lack of consumer perception of a need for a lower-strength product."
Fairbairn said there were no plans to axe its low-calorie Magners Light brand which had demonstrated a "very strong consumer requirement".
Tesco has championed the mid-strength beer and cider category in the UK with a number of exclusive listings including Hall & Woodhouse's Harvester ale, Beck's Green Lemon and Carlsberg Mid-Strength.
The UK soft drinks market grew by 2% in value in 2009, enough for sales in the on-trade to climb ahead of spirits to take the number two spot behind beer....
Any port will do in a storm, as the saying goes, and Jones Soda might do well to remember it....
Foster's Group has appointed the ex-head of Constellation Wines in Australia, John Grant, as vice president of its California wine division....
US-based soft drinks group Jones Soda has reported an improvement in net losses for 2009 and said it will continue to seek a buyer for the company....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research