UK: C&C Group buys Gaymer Cider Co from Constellation
The deal, announced today (30 November), will see the Gaymers, Blackthorn and Olde English cider brands join Magners in C&C Group's UK portfolio.
The Ireland-based group will also acquire a cider production facility in Shepton Mallet, based in Somerset in southern England, and a nearby distribution warehouse in Bristol.
"This transaction strengthens our position within the world's largest cider market and broadens the scope of the group's existing cider offering," said C&C Group CEO John Dunsmore.
Gaymer Cider Co had net sales of GBP64m in the year to the end of February 2009, with volumes of 1.5m hectolitres - around twice that of Magners. It employs 250 people and has an asset value of around GBP43.5m.
C&C Group added: "It also increases the Group's channel weighting towards the off-trade to better reflect the channel split of the overall UK cider category and significantly enhances the group's route to market."
Around 80% of Gaymers cider sales by volume are through the off-trade in the UK, which is predicted to grow faster than the on-trade over the next year.
C&C Group expects the deal to enhance earnings in its current fiscal year, which runs to the end of February 2010.
For Constellation Brands, the deal forms part of a reorganisation of its UK business.
C&C Group said it expects the deal to be complete by mid-January 2010, pending a review by the Office of Fair Trading.
Earlier this year, Ireland-based C&C Group bought the Tennent's lager business from A-B InBev in a deal worth GBP180m.
For an in-depth article on the deal, following the group's conference call, click here.
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Wines of the Beautiful South Ups its Game
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Bacardi-Martini appoints Southern Europe chief
- William Grant gives Sailor Jerry pack revamp