UK/IRELAND: C&C Group admits "challenging" Q1, but exports soar
Poor weather hampered C&C's cider sales in Q1
C&C Group has admitted to a "challenging" first quarter due to poor weather in the UK and Ireland causing "weak" cider numbers.
Total cider volumes in the UK fell 21.6% in the three months to the end of the May, the Magners and Gaymers producer said in a trading statment today (27 June). In the Republic of Ireland (ROI), total volumes were down 1.1% - cider fell 5.4%m, but beer was up 29.6%.
Tennents's volumes were up 47.6% in ROI and is now pouring in around 1,200 on-trade outlets, the company said. The launch of Caledonia Smooth has also been "well-received" in the on-trade.
In export markets, the picture is more postive for C&C. Total volumes were up 62.9% in the period, with net revenue up 47.4%. Volume numbers were not disclosed.
"In our key export markets cider continues to show strong growth," the company said. The addtion of the Hornsby's cider brand was "complementing steady organic growth," it added. C&C acquired Hornsby's from E&J Gallo Winery last November.
Stephen Glancey, C&C Group CEO, said: “Despite a challenging quarter and tough consumer backdrop, we are confident that our resilient business model and strong brand market combinations will deliver continued earnings growth for the full year and maintain our business momentum.”
Looking ahead to the full-year, the company said it expects full-year operating profit to be between EUR112m (US$139.9m) and EUR118m.
"The core cider business will see an increase in commercial support and brand activity over the next nine months and we anticipate a recovery in volume and revenue," C&C said.
The company will provide full details of its performance when it issues its half-year numbers in October.
To view the full update, click here.
The penultimate part of just-drinks' review of 2012 looks at a tumultuous year for the wine category....
Japan's reputation as a conservative market which has reached a natural plateau is looking increasingly outdated, according to a Wine Intelligence report - and it's the 20-34 age group that's doing mo...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018