IRELAND: C&C drops Bulmers price by 10%
C&C Group has cut the price of a pint bottle of its Bulmers cider by 10% in a bid to try and stimulate pub sales in the Irish market.
The price reduction, which will bring the retail price of a bottle of Bulmers down to below EUR5 (US$6.95), will be implemented against case prices for Bulmers Original, Bulmers Pear and Bulmers mid-strength.
The move will be backed by an advertising campaign, which is expected to break this weekend in Ireland, the company said today (27 May).
"From a C&C perspective, this is unprecedented," a spokesperson for C&C Group said. "It is a change in pricing policy, however, it will still maintain its premium status. Average price nationally for a pint bottle is just above the EUR5 mark. This decrease will bring it back down, but it will still be a premium product.
"Wholesalers and publicans have been told that at this difficult time for the pub trade and for the Irish economy, Bulmers believes that this move is in the interests of consumers and the overall drinks trade."
The decision follows C&C's decision last September to hold back a price increase in Ireland on Bulmers Draught when other drinks brands increased theirs.
The cut will bring the price of Bulmers pint bottles closer to the draught version of the cider.
C&C's total cider revenues, which includes Magners in the UK, fell by 15.2% in the 12 months to the end of February to EUR387m.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China