FRANCE: Castel to acquire BIB market leader Friedrich
French wine group Castel is set to buy Friedrich, the Bag-in Box (BIB) market leader in France, for an undisclosed sum.
"BIB is a very buoyant segment in France and we see it continuing in this vein for some time to come," a Castel spokesman told just-drinks from Vinexpo in Bordeaux. "Friedrich has six BIB packaging lines while we have four so together we'll be a potent force," he added.
He confirmed that a draft agreement had been signed with the Nantes-based firm, which posted a 2006 turnover of EUR 85m, two-thirds being generated by BIB sales which totalled 11m units. As well as its 31% share of France's BIB market, Friedrich also trades in Loire and Touraine wines as well distributors own brands.
The spokesman declined to disclose what share Castel has of the French BIB market nor what it represents in terms of turnover. Of Castel's 2006 turnover of just over EUR2bn around 40% came from wines.
Wine show organiser Vinexpo expects that more than 600 exhibitors from some 30 countries will be present at the Vinexpo Asia-Pacific trade show, which is to take place in Hong Kong from 27 to 29 May n...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts