AUS: 'Cash for cans' recycling scheme return sparks anger
The industry has been strongly opposed to the scheme
A trade body has hit out at a move by Australia's Northern Territory (NT) Government to reinstate a controversial recycling scheme.
The scheme, dubbed “cash for cans”, was abandoned in March after Australia's Federal Court agreed with a legal bid from Coca-Cola Amatil, Schweppes Australia and Lion. However, the country's Federal Executive Council this week moved to overturn the court ruling.
The Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC) claims that consumers would bear the cost of the initiative. The scheme involved consumers paying a AUD0.10 (US$0.10) deposit on cans, which was refunded when returned.
He added: “The NT Government’s decision to continue this bad policy will not correct the numerous flaws in the legislation, which have resulted in ongoing commercial disputes, proven shaky legal underpinnings and only increased costs for consumers with questionable environmental benefits.”
CCA said in March that it would cut its prices in the Northern Territory as a result of the scheme being abandoned. Nobody was immediately available for comment from the company today.
The Australian water cooler market stood at 340,000 units installed at the end of 2012. The market is still dominated by bottled water coolers, with over 65% share, but their number has fallen in the ...
This report comprises high level market research data on the Guatemala beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers the total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight an...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research