AUS: Carlton & United Breweries axes Victoria Pale Lager
CUB is the brewing arm of Foster's Group
Carlton & United Breweries (CUB) has confirmed it has pulled the brand Victoria Pale Lager as it steps its focus on reviving Victoria Bitter.
The 4.4% abv lager, launched in November 2011, was reportedly backed by a AUD6m (US$6.2m) marketing campaign. But CUB, the brewing arm of SABMiller subsidiary Foster's Group, confirmed to just-drinks today (14 March) that the brand has been removed.
“With the focus on the renewal of Victoria Bitter, the decision was made to delete Vic Pale Lager,” the company said in an e-mailed statement, without detailing when the brand was pulled.
It is the first brand to be axed since Foster's was bought out by SABMiller in December 2011.
Last September, CUB said it was returning Victoria Bitter to its original 4.9% abv after the beer lost its market leadership status.
The company added in its statement today: “While it's early days, the momentum on Vic Bitter is going well, with a return to growth for the December quarter.”
MillerCoors' plans to launch a new, high-strength "golden" lager may not be surprising on one level, but the wider trend is puzzling....
UK deliveries of Heineken and Britvic brands could be affected by a 24-hour strike by workers at logistics firm Kuehne + Nagel, according to trade union Unite....
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research