Product Launch - UK: Carlsberg's Somersby cider
Click through to view a full image of Somersby
Carlsberg's Somersby Cider
Category - Cider, 4.5% abv
Available - From 15 July
Location - UK, off-trade. Initial launch in Tesco, then rolled out to rest of off-trade
Distribution - Carlsberg
The launch of Somersby represents Carlsberg's first venture in the UK's mainstream cider market. The cider brand is currently available in 22 other countries, after being released in Denmark and Norway in 2008.
However, the UK version of Somersby will be a "completely different liquid" to the version avaiable elsewhere, a Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks.
The drink is being produced in Ledbury, Herefordshire, by Bevisol - a private firm specialising in ciders, perrys, made wines and alcohol bases used in RTDs.
Darran Britton, Carlsberg's marketing and strategy director, said: "This is a major initiative for Carlsberg and demonstrates our increased focus on innovation, coming just two months after the launch of San Miguel Fresca."
The brand will be rolled-out to the UK on-trade in early 2013, Carlsberg added.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces written by our regular columnists o...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research