Product Launch - UK: Carlsberg's Somersby cider
Click through to view a full image of Somersby
Carlsberg's Somersby Cider
Category - Cider, 4.5% abv
Available - From 15 July
Location - UK, off-trade. Initial launch in Tesco, then rolled out to rest of off-trade
Distribution - Carlsberg
The launch of Somersby represents Carlsberg's first venture in the UK's mainstream cider market. The cider brand is currently available in 22 other countries, after being released in Denmark and Norway in 2008.
However, the UK version of Somersby will be a "completely different liquid" to the version avaiable elsewhere, a Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks.
The drink is being produced in Ledbury, Herefordshire, by Bevisol - a private firm specialising in ciders, perrys, made wines and alcohol bases used in RTDs.
Darran Britton, Carlsberg's marketing and strategy director, said: "This is a major initiative for Carlsberg and demonstrates our increased focus on innovation, coming just two months after the launch of San Miguel Fresca."
The brand will be rolled-out to the UK on-trade in early 2013, Carlsberg added.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces written by our regular columnists o...
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages