NORWAY: Carlsberg's Ringnes to sell off Arendal brewery
Carlsberg's unit in Norway is set to sell its oldest brewery in the country.
Ringnes, which Carlsberg took complete control of in 2004, confirmed today (17 April) that it will sell its brewery in Arendal, in the south-east of the country, to a group of local investors. Financial details behind the divestment were not disclosed.
"Ringnes has earlier made it clear that the Arendal brewery does not fit into the future production structure in Ringnes, and various structural solutions have been considered," the company said. "One of these has been a sale of the brewery to local investors.
"The sale of Arendal will increase the efficiency of Ringnes' production structure."
The Arendal facility employs 145, the unit said, and is one of Ringnes' three breweries in Norway. The site was founded in 1839.
Earlier this year, Carslberg confirmed that Ringnes was looking to reduce its costs and employee numbers going forward.
Those who doubted that Anheuser-Busch InBev would meet its US$7bn disposals target clearly underestimated the beast they were dealing with....
Analysts have hailed Carlsberg's half-year results as "positive" and "strong", thanks to margin expansion in the group's key Russian market. Michelle Russell examines reaction to the brewer's performa...
Anheuser-Busch InBev blew its US$7bn disposals target out of the water today, completing the brewer's mission to help pay off the A-B acquisition by refocusing the company on core businesses and marke...
C&C Group has withdrawn its Magners mid-strength cider variant in the UK, after testing the extension in Tesco and Waitrose....
Heineken is to cut another 140 jobs in Russia by suspending brewing at its Ivan Taranov brewery in the country, as part of the firm's global cost savings programme....
Russia's Government is pressing ahead with its proposal to triple tax on beer from the start of 2010, according to Carlsberg, in a move that analysts believe could significantly damage brewers' profit...
Carlsberg has confirmed that it plans to divest its stake in Vietnamese state-owned wine and tobacco company Vinataba....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China