LATVIA: Carlsberg's Aldaris shifts focus to craft, main facility to close
Carlsberg is re-focussing its operations in Latvia
Carlsberg's Latvian subsidiary, Aldaris, is closing its main production facility to focus on the country's growing craft beer sector.
The brewer and soft drinks group is investing EUR3m (US$4m) in restoring its historic brewery, but will outsource production of its mainstream beers, and PET production, to other Carlsberg breweries in Europe, it said earlier this month. “The Aldaris beer will still be available in Latvia and customers and consumers are not affected,” a Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks today (24 September).
Latvia's craft beer sector has grown by 50% since 2009 and now accounts for 14% of the country's total beer market. However, Latvia's overall beer market is in decline, particularly in the price-competitive PET segment.
The move to outsource some of Aldaris' production has been criticised by Lativa's economy minister, Daniels Pavluts, who reportedly described the move as “grim” and “not in Latvia's interests”. The brewery investment is due to create 20 news jobs, but Aldaris' overall headcount is expected to be cut, local reports suggested.
The spokesperson for Carlsberg, which has controlled Aldaris since 2008, added: “There has been ongoing, constructive dialogue with the government in Latvia regarding our intentions.”
Published by Canadean, this Quarterly Beverage Tracker report provides a detailed analysis of the latest developments in the Denmark beverage market...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Malaysia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
Global manufacturers, orchards owners, and independent brewers are realising the potential in the cider/perry market beyond core markets, particularly the UK. Evolving cider/perry markets in Eastern E...
This report comprises high level market research data on the Slovenia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers the total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets