NEPAL: Carlsberg workers secure improved deal
Employees at Carlsberg's brewery in Nepal have won higher wages and improved working conditions after talks with the Danish brewing giant ended a two-week dispute.
Gorka Brewery, the largest in Nepal, has reopened after negotiations between the company's management and Maoist-affiliated trade unions.
Workers had demanded better pay and working conditions for the brewery's 150 seasonal employees. However, Carlsberg, alongside venture partner the Khetan family, closed the brewery after the unions had "threatened" the company's management, a Carlsberg spokesman said today (4 July).
"We have always said that we are ready to negotiate but not when we are threatened - and that's the reason we closed the brewery," the spokesman told just-drinks.
He added: "About half - around 70 - of the seasonal workers have been transferred to new, permanent positions and their salaries have been raised a little. The workers used to have better conditions that most local companies - now they have significantly better terms."
The spokesman declined to say how much the agreement would cost the venture, in which Carlsberg owns a 50% stake. He insisted that the shutdown had not affected supplies, as existing stock had met demand.
Baltic Beverages Holding has made its first direct investment into Belarus with the purchase of a 30% stake in local beer maker Olivaria Brewery....
Carlsberg has admitted that it has opened a sales office in Bosnia....
Carlsberg has refused to be drawn on reports that it is looking to set up a business in Bosnia....
Anheuser-Busch will decide whether to enter India "probably within three months", the head of the US brewing giant's international operations told just-drinks today (12 December)....
Danish brewer Royal Unibrew has reshuffled its management team, the company announced today (11 December)....
The Vietnamese government is to sell off shares in state-owned drinks company Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corp. (Sabeco)....
Carlsberg has finally signalled its entry into India after months of speculation surrounding the brewer's ambitions for the fast-growing beer market....
The head of Carlsberg's operations in Denmark is to leave the brewer....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research