DENMARK: Carlsberg workers return after nine-day strike
Carlsberg ran out of draught beer in Denmark because of the action
Workers at Carlsberg's Fredericia production facility in Denmark have returned to work today (23 August) after a nine-day strike.
The industrial action broke out on Wednesday last week after the 130 members of the 3F trade union objected to a non-union employee working at the plant. Carlsberg ran out of draught beer and soft drinks for its domestic market because of the action.
But today, a company spokesperson said the workers were back on site following a vote. “This morning there was a majority (vote) for going back to work,” the spokesperson told just-drinks. “We did not take part in these meetings.”
Local media reported yesterday that the company had appealed to the labour court, Arbejdsretten, to have all 130 of the striking workers sacked. However, the Carlsberg spokesperson said the company would not be allowed to do this during an industrial conflict.
A union representative is understood to have told local radio that it was the right time to go back to work, but there had been no solutions.
Earlier this week, Carlsberg reported a slight rise in first-half profits and sales, as Asia and Eastern Europe propped up its struggling Western Europe business.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research