DENMARK: Carlsberg workers return after nine-day strike
Carlsberg ran out of draught beer in Denmark because of the action
Workers at Carlsberg's Fredericia production facility in Denmark have returned to work today (23 August) after a nine-day strike.
The industrial action broke out on Wednesday last week after the 130 members of the 3F trade union objected to a non-union employee working at the plant. Carlsberg ran out of draught beer and soft drinks for its domestic market because of the action.
But today, a company spokesperson said the workers were back on site following a vote. “This morning there was a majority (vote) for going back to work,” the spokesperson told just-drinks. “We did not take part in these meetings.”
Local media reported yesterday that the company had appealed to the labour court, Arbejdsretten, to have all 130 of the striking workers sacked. However, the Carlsberg spokesperson said the company would not be allowed to do this during an industrial conflict.
A union representative is understood to have told local radio that it was the right time to go back to work, but there had been no solutions.
Earlier this week, Carlsberg reported a slight rise in first-half profits and sales, as Asia and Eastern Europe propped up its struggling Western Europe business.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Malaysia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer