UKRAINE: Carlsberg warns of possible brewery closure over tax plans - report
Carlsberg has warned it will be forced to cut costs if the duty hike goes through
Carlsberg has claimed that it will be forced to close one of its Ukrainian breweries if a three-fold duty hike on beer goes through, according to reports.
A draft bill in Ukraine's Parliament is proposing a three-fold tax rise on beer to UAH2.5 (US$0.31) per litre. Carlsberg, which has three breweries in the country, forecasts the market will shrink approximately 15% this year, if the bill is adopted, the Ukranain News Agency reported today (11 June).
"In this situation we will be compelled to close down one of the company's three breweries, we are already discussing this issue now," Carlsberg's Ukraine director-general Petro Chernyshov was quoted as saying.
He also warned the company will have to axe 15% of its Ukraine workforce, the news agency reported.
The government has said 65% of the funds raised from the excise increase would go towards building hospitals, it was reported.
First-quarter net sales in Carlsberg Eastern Europe region, which is mainly Russia and Ukraine, were flat, the brewer reported last month.
The Packaging of Retail Alcoholic Drinks in Ukraine, 2007 to 2017
“The Packaging of Retail Alcoholic Drinks in Ukraine, 2007 to 2017” is a data only report providing extensive and highly detailed time series consumption data on primary and outer packaging in the mar...read more
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Malaysia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Denmark beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and a...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research