UK: Carlsberg unveils £10m Euro 2004 push
Carlsberg UK has unveiled a £10m+ promotional package around the Euro 2004 football tournament.
The marketing campaign, called 'Your Country Needs You', will hope to maximise sales in a traditional boom time for beer consumption.
"The competition represents a massive trading opportunity and research has shown that men watching high profile football matches are a third more likely to drink lager than at all other times," the company said in a statement.
"Carlsberg and Carlsberg Export are well placed to help fans get the most from UEFA Euro 2004 and the brands have a track record for driving growth during key football events. During the 2002 World Cup for example, Carlsberg achieved 30% of mainstream lager sales in the off-trade.
Carlsberg is an official partner to the tournament itself, as well as the official beer of the England team, giving the brand exclusive rights to the use of the official England Three Lions logo on branded merchandise as well as sponsor broadcast rights and access to the matches themselves.
The campaign will be supported via TV and outdoor advertising as well as massive in-outlet promotion. It embraces all promotional, advertising and PR activity for Carlsberg and Carlsberg Export before and during UEFA Euro 2004.
'Your Country Needs You' cans and bottles and prominent outer packaging will feature during the tournament. England player imagery will appear on 4s, 8s, 12s and 24-packs on cans and bottles of Carlsberg and Carlsberg Export.
Doug Clydesdale, managing director brands and sales at Carlsberg UK, said: "The support for UEFA Euro 2004, with Carlsberg and Carlsberg Export, will be unrivalled in the sector, given the unique and exclusive rights the brands enjoy. With 'Your Country Needs You' we have created a compelling and integrated campaign with its eye-catching imagery and positive feel-good theme which will capture the mood of the nation." He added: "We look forward to the upsurge in sales of our brands as England fans follow the team with a Carlsberg."
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Hite Brewery Co. has signed a preliminary agreement to acquire Jinro....
Carlsberg Sverige is looking to introduce a lemon-flavoured beer to the Swedish market....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research