EXCLUSIVE - SWEDEN: Carlsberg to launch "craft-style" lager
Carlsberg's "craft-style" lager will appear in October
Carlsberg Sweden is making a move into craft beer with the launch of a new "craft-style lager" - the first brew to come from its Backyard Brewery concept.
The 4.8% abv beer, named Lawn Mower, has been developed by Carlsberg brewers in the backyard of its Falcon Brewery, in Falkenberg. Lawn Mower is "dry hopped with Amarillo and Cascade to give it a grassy aroma", a Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks.
The beer will be available from October, in 33cl cans only, from Sweden's government-run Systembolaget alcohol retailer. However, Carlsberg will "evaluate further channels in the near future", the spokesperson added.
The Backyard Brewery, which is described as virtual concept, has involved Carlsberg brewers using their spare time to come up with "experimental brews".
"When we tried some of those high quality brews, we saw an opportunity to bring the concept to market," the spokesperson said.
"It (the Backyard Brewery) is not a new brewery, it’s a virtual concept where we leverage our newly-renovated development brewery to make room for creativity and passion."
Carlsberg Sweden’s master brewer, Daniel Eriksson, added: "It offers more opportunities for me and my colleagues to freely develop and experiment with new concepts.”
The Backyard Brewery will only be open for visits on special occasions, like 'Ölets Dag', Carlsberg's celebration day for beer, next Wednesday (July 18), the company said. "For the time being, it will not be open as a part of our ordinary visitors routine," the spokesperson added.
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review