UK: Carlsberg to handle Baltika, Mythos, Grimbergen in UK
Carlsberg has taken control of three European beer brands in the UK, following the completion of its purchase of Scottish & Newcastle.
The brewer's UK unit confirmed yesterday (23 July) that it handle the sales and distribution of Baltika from Russia, Mythos from Greece and Grimbergen from Belgium in both the on- and off-trade in the country.
Carlsberg UK hailed the move as helping to grow its 'speciality' and imported 'World' beer portfolio in the country.
"Consumers are looking to explore new and different beers," said Paul Davies, head of brands at Carlsberg UK. "As with the trends in food, beer drinkers are placing greater emphasis on provenance and authenticity as the growth in the market illustrates.
"The addition of these brands to the Carlsberg UK portfolio allows us to cater to this fast growing and ever more discerning market".
Carlsberg has taken control of the three brands from Heineken UK.
In April, Carlsberg and Heineken closed their acquisition of S&N for GBP8.00 per share, valuing S&N at GBP7.8bn (US$15.34bn). The transaction resulted in S&N's businesses in the UK and Ireland, Finland, Portugal, Belgium and India going to Heineken, with Carlsberg taking control of S&N's businesses in France, Greece, Russia, China and Vietnam.
Tax hikes have taken centre stage in discussions between the alcohol industry and several national and state governments around the world over the last year. Michelle Russell reports on a global trend...
Wine giant E&J Gallo plans to cut up to 50 jobs in the UK, blaming the move on tax rises and a tough economic climate....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has unveiled a "user-generated social media contest" for its Jim Beam Bourbon brand in the US....
Wines of Israel has lined up the first extensive tasting in the US for next month....
Sweden-based distributor Nigab is to handle Foster's wine brands in the Nordic duty-free and travel retail sectors....
Nick Blair, wine director for Pernod Ricard in the UK, is to be the new chairman of the London International Wine Fair and its sister show, Distil....
Scottish & Newcastle UK and Welsh brewer SA Brain have agreed a new partnership deal to cover distribution and brewing....
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World