UK: Carlsberg to handle Baltika, Mythos, Grimbergen in UK
Carlsberg has taken control of three European beer brands in the UK, following the completion of its purchase of Scottish & Newcastle.
The brewer's UK unit confirmed yesterday (23 July) that it handle the sales and distribution of Baltika from Russia, Mythos from Greece and Grimbergen from Belgium in both the on- and off-trade in the country.
Carlsberg UK hailed the move as helping to grow its 'speciality' and imported 'World' beer portfolio in the country.
"Consumers are looking to explore new and different beers," said Paul Davies, head of brands at Carlsberg UK. "As with the trends in food, beer drinkers are placing greater emphasis on provenance and authenticity as the growth in the market illustrates.
"The addition of these brands to the Carlsberg UK portfolio allows us to cater to this fast growing and ever more discerning market".
Carlsberg has taken control of the three brands from Heineken UK.
In April, Carlsberg and Heineken closed their acquisition of S&N for GBP8.00 per share, valuing S&N at GBP7.8bn (US$15.34bn). The transaction resulted in S&N's businesses in the UK and Ireland, Finland, Portugal, Belgium and India going to Heineken, with Carlsberg taking control of S&N's businesses in France, Greece, Russia, China and Vietnam.
Tax hikes have taken centre stage in discussions between the alcohol industry and several national and state governments around the world over the last year. Michelle Russell reports on a global trend...
Wine giant E&J Gallo plans to cut up to 50 jobs in the UK, blaming the move on tax rises and a tough economic climate....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has unveiled a "user-generated social media contest" for its Jim Beam Bourbon brand in the US....
Wines of Israel has lined up the first extensive tasting in the US for next month....
Sweden-based distributor Nigab is to handle Foster's wine brands in the Nordic duty-free and travel retail sectors....
Nick Blair, wine director for Pernod Ricard in the UK, is to be the new chairman of the London International Wine Fair and its sister show, Distil....
Scottish & Newcastle UK and Welsh brewer SA Brain have agreed a new partnership deal to cover distribution and brewing....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review