DENMARK: Carlsberg starts talks to enter India
Danish brewer Carlsberg has revealed that it has held exploratory talks on entering the Indian beer market.
Carlsberg, which has been busy gaining a foothold in China, where it recently bought its 20th brewery, has turned its attention to India, a market capturing the attention of the world's brewing giants.
Reports in India today (3 May) claimed that Carlsberg had put a proposal to build a brewery to state officials in Rajasthan. A Carlsberg spokesman refused to be drawn on the reports when contacted by just-drinks - but he admitted that the brewer was looking at ways to enter the Indian market.
"We have had meetings with the relevant people on relevant projects but no conclusions and no decisions have been made and we are not able to say if and when any will be made," the spokesman said.
Heineken venture Asia Pacific Breweries yesterday made its first move into India with the acquisition of a majority stake in Aurangabad Breweries (AUBL). The purchase marked Heineken's first foray into India, a market the Dutch brewer and APB has long coveted - but one in which UBL and SABMiller hold a combined market share of around 80%.
However, the Carlsberg spokesman refused to say whether that deal would quicken the brewer's need to get into India. "We never comment on other brewers' acquisitions," he added.
Miller Brewing and Heineken USA have dismissed Anheuser-Busch's efforts to lead an industry-wide campaign to promote beer as only serving the interests of the Budweiser brewer....
Carlsberg has launched a draught version of Holsten Pils in the UK....
Heineken believes it can gain a foothold in India's fast-growing beer market despite the dominance there of United Breweries and SABMiller....
Heineken venture Asia Pacific Breweries has finally struck a deal to enter India's fast-growing beer market. APB, the Singapore-based brewer in which Heineken owns a 42% stake, said today (2 May) that...
SABMiller looks set to snap up a majority stake in Indian brewer Mohan Meakin - with a deal likely to be finalised by the start of June, just-drinks understands....
Boisset America, Carlsberg and Glanbia head up this month's new products releases, according to Datamonitor's Productscan database....
Asia Pacific Breweries has emerged as the front-runner in the race to buy the Asian assets put up for sale by Foster's Group....
SABMiller has rolled out international premium brand Peroni Nastro Azzurro into Poland....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends